I work in a hotel. I used to work at the local Visitor Info Centre. These are the answers to most of the questions I have been asked on a near daily basis for years…
The Mornington Peninsula is a very popular holiday destination just outside of Victoria’s capital city, Melbourne (about an hours drive if the traffic isn’t too terrible). There is something for everyone- beaches, wineries, mazes, old forts, amazing cafés, and so much more. I thought I’d put together a simple guide for everyone planning to come visit or perhaps inspire some to come!
Let’s start with the food & drinks. The Mornington Peninsula is not short on eateries or places to drink (these two often go hand in hand). You can probably find somewhere new to eat everyday of the year and not get bored!
Eat & Drink
- Merchant & Maker, McCrae. I had the pancakes with Apple Mousse and it was devine. I was pretty impressed with the coffee too!
- Cakes & Ale, Sorrento.
- Picknics, Rye
- Dee’s Kitchen, Dromana.
- Blue Mini Café, Rosebud. This place is a quirky one! It’s out in the industrial estate in Rosebud in a former bowling alley. Sells gifts and homewares as well.
- Peninsula Pantry, Rye
- A Mini Kitchen, Rye
- Winey Cow, Morington
- The Counting House, Mornington
- Merricks General Wine Store, Merricks
- Flinder’s Bakehouse Café
- Laneway Espresso, Dromana
- Via Boffe, Mornington
- Eighteen78, Mornington. This is a different kind of restaurant. It’s all about the Chef’s tasting menus so you choose the number of courses (3, 5, or 7) and if you want the wine pairing menu to go with!
- Marco Polo, Mornington – Afghan
- Milbri, Rosebud
- MAX’S at Red Hill Estate
- D.O.C, Mornington
- Ten Minutes by Tractor, Red Hill
- Petit Tracteur (more casual than their big brother)
- Soy, Mornington – Chinese
- Linden Tree at Lindenderry, Red Hill – fine dining at it’s best
- The Rocks, Mornington
- Foxey’s Hangout, Red Hill- unpretentious winery setting with great food!
- Loquat, Sorrento
- Red Hill Brewery, Red Hill South. This brewery has beer plus a proper restaurant.
Bars & Wine
- Mornington Brewery, Morington. There’s pizza and beer brewed on site. What could be better?!
- Sound Bar, Rosebud West
- Claret & Co, Sorrento
- Independent Wine Store, Rye- also do cheese boards and the like
- Two Buoys, Dromana- Tapas and popular for drinks
Pamper & Relax
- Peninsula Hot Springs, Fingal. On site café, private pools, massage, and plenty of outdoor heated pools. Book ahead and try to go during off peak times as it gets stupidly busy.
- Red Hill Spa, Red Hill. Facials, Massage, Spa soaks, everything you expect from a Day Spa.
- Endota Day Spa, Mornington & Moorooduc.
Fun & Games
- The Enchanted Adventure Garden, Arthurs Seat.
- Tree Surfing
- Ashcombe Maze and Lavender Gardens, Red Hill South
- Boneo Maze and Mini Golf, Boneo
- Gunnamatta Trail Rides, Fingal
- The Big Goose, Moorooduc. Children’s petting zoo, mini golf, & adventure playground.
- Dinosaur World, Somerville. Dinosaurs stomping through a Christmas tree farm.
- Moonlit Sanctuary, Pearcedale. Get up close to native wildlife and have a guided night tour
- Cape Schanck Lighthouse
- Point Nepean Quarantine Station and Army forts
- Charlie’s Auto Museum, Arthurs Seat
- Sorrento Rock Pools, Ocean Beach Rd, Sorrento Back Beach
- McCrae Homestead, McCrae
Something I’ve missed? Any questions? Email me!!