The Quarantine Station at Point Nepean was first opened in 1852 and officially closed 1980. From 1951 until 1998 the station also housed the Australian Army Officer Cadet School and the School of Army Health.
Today, many of the buildings are open to the public and offer an insight into life on a Quarantine Station and the history of immigration to Australia. One of the most well known ships to moor off Point Nepean and raise the yellow flag was the Ticonderoga in November 1852. In the terrible living conditions, 93 passengers died of Typhus on board the ship during the voyage from Liverpool to Melbourne with many bodies being thrown overboard and a further 70 would die at the basic quarantine station which was completely unprepared for the catastrophe unfolding. Tents were made using the ships rigging, two huts were bought from local lime burners to use as infirmaries and a ship, the Lysander, was anchored off the coast and used to house the most serious cases.
It didn’t take long after the Ticonderoga incident for the building of a proper Quarantine station. Five hospital buildings were built in 1858/59. One was used for the sick, the others to house those not showing symptoms but quarantined in case. Other buildings were built for fumigating passengers luggage with formaldehyde and bath houses where passengers had to take baths using antiseptic soap.
The station protected the colony (and later state) of Victoria from many epidemics including the Spanish Influenza epidemic in 1918/19 and many bouts of infectious diseases like measles, typhus, cholera, smallpox and more.
As science advanced and the need for such stations decreased, the Army took over some of the buildings for use as a training facility for Army officer cadets and Army health. Most recently, the station was home to over 400 Kosovar refugees during the 1998/99 conflict.
Today, the Quarantine Station, along with the Army forts, is managed by Parks Victoria and is popular day out for visitors to the National Park.